By Megan Wolfarth, Training and Safety Director
I’m sure that you’re all aware, but the cold weather is here! Along with the cold is snow, ice and freezing rain, all of which can be very dangerous while driving and working outside.
Here are some safety tips to help you stay safe and warm:
- Dress in layers and try to wear natural fiber clothing (i.e. cotton).
- Cover your head! Sixty percent of body heat is lost through your noggin.
- Drink plenty of water! Cold weather causes you to breathe harder and body fluids are lost by each breath you take.
- Keep your hands out of your pockets! They will help you to maintain your balance.
- Look around! Try to find the ice with your eyes, not your feet.
- Slow down and shorten your stride. This will give you a more sturdy base.